Re: [teacherartexchange] Being a New teacher

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2006 - 13:49:10 PDT

Yes, there should be a roundtable discussion to change the ways art
teachers are prepared.
I suggest that several major universities get together to sponsor
this sort of forum. They could
invite seasoned art teachers to explore better ways to prepare our
future teachers. If anyone
is listening, this is a serious proposal. Think about it.
                                                        Woody

On Jul 14, 2006, at 2:16 PM, M. Austin wrote:

> One big problem I see with the college prep experience is how pre-
> service teachers miss out on some of the most important days of the
> school year - the beginning! In my area most colleges don't start
> for 3-4 weeks after the public and private schools do. Then the pre-
> service teachers often don't begin student teaching for 1-2 weeks
> after that. These pre-service teachers have missed seeing how the
> classroom teacher has set classroom management procedures, why
> certain rules are instilled because of specific classroom needs,
> the staff meetings where staff expectations are shared.
>
> In my experience, the colleges seem to be out-of-touch with what
> schools are expecting. My own college experience was spent with
> countless hours creating a teaching portfolio that we were assured
> was what employers would expect to see when we interviewed. My
> entire graduating class of art educators later discussed the fact
> that not once, in any of our experiences, did interviewing
> administrators want to see those portfolios. Things may have
> changed, but we all felt that our college was not truely in touch
> with what was going on in education outside their walls.
> ~Michal
> K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
> http://www.geocities.com/theartkids
>

>>> The one thing I hear from new teachers is "I really wasn't prepared
>>> for....." I won't begin to list the "was-nots"
>>> Mostly it is routine stuff, that many of us take for granted.
>>> Many school systems have mentors for new teachers , but from what I
>>> read, I suspect many new teachers are set out to fend for
>>> themselves.

> teacherartexchange/unsubscribe.html

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net