Re: [teacherartexchange] Being a New teacher

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2006 - 13:41:30 PDT

On Jul 14, 2006, at 1:59 PM, M. Austin wrote:

> I decided day one of teaching that MY children came first. I spent
> my school days giving 100% to my students,
> and my evenings giving 100% to my family. There was little time for
> art of my own. Now that my children are grown
> I have decided that I would NOT do one thing different. It is easy
> when you are older and don't have all those demands
> on your time to create art, but we should never guilt our fellow
> art teachers who are not creating on the side
> for reasons of their own choosing.

Over the years I've had several very good principals. But the best
were the one's
who stressed what was most important, your family. I have not often
enough heeded
this good advice but it is important to keep your priorities
straight. Don't let your
outside activities (employment, sports, politics, art, etc.) be a
reason to neglect what
is most important, your spouse and your kids. And your wife or
husband should come
first. Remember, at some point the kids will leave, while marriage
should be forever.
Luckily, for me, Frani has stuck with me even though I've often been
too busy to really
pay her enough attention.
                                                                                Woody
Yes, there is a Frani. She is not a myth.

>> So what processes do we value? And how do we let kids know that
>> we value the exploration even when the product may not be an "A?"
>> I'll end with what Woody says:
>>> Most of our students will never go into art as a profession. We
>>> need to teach
>>> all students to appreciate and understand art. Don't neglect the
>>> serious ones
>>> but teaching art should be with a very broad brush.
>> A broad brush indeed. ... that gives kids lots of opportunity to
>> make, and to appreciate, and plenty of opportunity to question.
>>
>> Patty

> teacherartexchange/unsubscribe.html

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net