Re: [teacherartexchange] Being a New teacher

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2006 - 13:16:30 PDT

One big problem I see with the college prep experience is how pre-service
teachers miss out on some of the most important days of the school year -
the beginning! In my area most colleges don't start for 3-4 weeks after the
public and private schools do. Then the pre-service teachers often don't
begin student teaching for 1-2 weeks after that. These pre-service teachers
have missed seeing how the classroom teacher has set classroom management
procedures, why certain rules are instilled because of specific classroom
needs, the staff meetings where staff expectations are shared.

In my experience, the colleges seem to be out-of-touch with what schools are
expecting. My own college experience was spent with countless hours creating
a teaching portfolio that we were assured was what employers would expect to
see when we interviewed. My entire graduating class of art educators later
discussed the fact that not once, in any of our experiences, did
interviewing administrators want to see those portfolios. Things may have
changed, but we all felt that our college was not truely in touch with what
was going on in education outside their walls.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids