Re: [teacherartexchange] Being a New teacher

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2006 - 12:59:43 PDT

Great paragraph from both Patty & Woody. I have taught many students to
enjoy the process of creating, but few have gone on to art careers. Some of
my most talented students choose different paths, despite my encouragement.
I don't regret my time with these students, but my "success" stories are
those that often involve students who simply enjoy the process regardless of
the results. You know the kids - they seem completely disinterested, yet
they show up one day showing off their new sketchbook and drawing pencils
that they "asked for and got for their birthday". That's when you know you
are succeeding as a teacher - and the reason not everyone can teach. You
have to be able to connect with ALL your students on some level.

On another note, I have often felt guilty when I would read remarks that art
teachers should be creating art of their own. My entire teaching career has
not only been filled with my K-12 art curriculum, but also that of being a
wife and mother. With two children who were athletes and active in school I
decided day one of teaching that MY children came first. I spent my school
days giving 100% to my students, and my evenings giving 100% to my family.
There was little time for art of my own. Now that my children are grown I
have decided that I would NOT do one thing different. It is easy when you
are older and don't have all those demands on your time to create art, but
we should never guilt our fellow art teachers who are not creating on the
side for reasons of their own choosing.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids