Re: [teacherartexchange] Being a New teacher

---------

From: Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2006 - 12:50:14 PDT

I have been teaching preservice art teachers for over 25 years. I still have
not figured out how to do it effectively. There is a systemic problem in
teacher education and universities. It seems that most universities are not
about learning. It is about buildings, programs, enrollment, jobs, careers,
administration policies...rarely is it about learning...So I find it very
challenging to try to help art teachers get a good start. An entire overhall
is needed. I would like to see more partnerships with schools. I would like
to work with K-12 schools to stay involved in teaching K-12. I would like to
see my students working in the schools every day. I would like to see my
students focus on helping K-12 art students how to learn about art. Right now,
the whole university thing seems to be a right of passage...and then you can get
out and learn how to teach. Maybe art teachers get a clue about doing this
effectively after about 10 years or so. As a teacher educator the state of
affairs is disheartening. Nevertheless, I am not giving up...God knows I love
this field. I hope I have helped someone become a better person and a better
art teacher. With each new semester, hope springs eternal.

This is my .02 cents.

--
Dr. Diane C. Gregory
Director, Undergraduate & Graduate