Re:[teacherartexchange] Artists as Teachers

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2006 - 10:24:05 PDT

First of all, "please" don't resend the entire digest when you wish
to comment on a single topic.

On Jul 14, 2006, at 10:03 AM, Maureen wrote:

> More and more high school principals in Salt Lake are only hiring art
> teachers that maintain their own work out/inside of the classroom
> and that
> exhibit their work. I do agree that teaching itself is an art form
> and,
> believe me, teachers are my heroes because they are capable of so
> much.

I'm an advocate of art teachers being artist , but I would not wish to
preclude those who do not work at and exhibit their art from teaching
art, especially at the elementary level. I've know many good art
teachers who did not pursue their own art.

> Of course, teachers in any subject, including art, need to be able to
> create classrooms that work for all if not most of the students.

NCLB requires us to reach "all" students.

> As far as
> artist-teachers painting or drawing on student work, that is a
> discourse
> that has gone back many hundred years.

I had a great watercolor workshop instructor who did his critiques by
painting on students work. I politely explained that as an old art
teacher I preferred that he not touch my paintings. He respected
my request.

> Art classes should be preparing students to enter fields that benefit
> from strong art backgrounds, which are innumerable by the way.

Most of our students will never go into art as a profession. We need
to teach
all students to appreciate and understand art. Don't neglect the
serious ones
but teaching art should be with a very broad brush.

                                                                Woody

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons