[teacherartexchange] motivation

---------

From: Elizabeth Heisey (elizhiz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2006 - 03:46:30 PDT

I teach HS and have always felt that I was as much
manager as teacheres. I discovered a shelf of coaching
and motivational books at my library around 658.312 on
the spine (Dewey Decimal?) Anyway, there is a wealth
of help, such as "coaching and mentoring for dummies",
which has more background and "100 ways to motivate
others" (Chandler), which of course has lots of
examples.
Some of the concepts are about teaching people how to
teach themselves, perceiving what kind of a leader you
would be, focusing on what results you really want
rather than just trying, routines.
It all starts with the fact that we cannot manage
others, we can only encourage self motivaton.
Hope this helps someone.
Beth