[teacherartexchange] Are you considering TAB Choice? (Choice Based Art Education)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2006 - 04:01:37 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

I know there are many new members of the lists now - some of you are
still doing your undergraduate work. I would like to point out some
very good discussions right now on the TAB Yahoo list (TAB - Teaching
for Artistic Behavior).

The discussions I am referring to go back to July 2 "Taking back
control." Of course there is much more good stuff. Kathy Douglas has
posted some excellent quotes to think about. July 2 would be a good
place to start browsing the posts - then you can search for topics
that interest you.

Linda posted Dr. Craig Roland's "Thinking like an Artist":
http://www.arts.ufl.edu/ART/rt_room/@rtrageous/think_like_an_artist.html

TAB Choice ArtEd archives are open for all - you will need to join if
you want to post. Read about the disadvantages of the traditional DBAE
approach and the benefits of TAB Choice. Students learn to think like
real artists. TAB Choice is process oriented - not product oriented.
You will also read about the frustrations members have had with TAB
Choice and how to address those problems.

For those of you who are not familiar with TAB Choice - here is a link
to resources:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/TAB-CHOICE.htm

Research shows that Choice works. In time, I would like to get more
Choice centers on Incredible Art Department. Right now, I have Kathy
Douglas' monoprinting center.
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/elem/Kathy-Monoprint.htm

If there are list members out there who would like to share how you
set up your centers, please contact me off list. I would like some
images of student work, too.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department