Re: [teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: July 10, 2006

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2006 - 17:08:43 PDT

Very few schools can hire professional draftspeople, painters,
ceramists, printmakers, photographers, textile artists, sculptors, art
historians, art critics, or aestheticians to teach each of these
subjects, not to mention the fact that many of them might not make very
good teachers. I, on the other hand, have taught ALL these things, at
varying degrees of proficiency. I had no sculpture background, yet I
felt it was important to expose my students to it, so I taught it the
best I could each semester. Would Alan Houser or Luis Jimenez or Louise
Nevelson done a better job teaching my students? Possibly, but they
weren't available--or affordable. In a perfect world, art teachers
would be experienced and skillful in every medium possible; in the real
world, we do the best we can because we think it's important.

Maggie
P.S. When responding to something in the digest, please delete all
parts of it that are not relevant to the discussion.