Re: RE:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: July 10, 2006

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2006 - 10:11:57 PDT

This school hiring Staci as their new ceramics teacher does not necessarily
mean that this school does not fully support the arts. Regardless of subject
matter, many schools tend to hire inexperienced teachers since they can hire
them for much less than an experienced teacher. When I looked at a new art
position last year I would have only been able to transfer 7 years
experience. By the district hiring a freshly graduated teacher over an
experienced teacher they saved $9,000 in salary alone (that is the paycut I
would have taken). It has also been my experience with the teachers in my
area that I have mentored is that "most" schools don't want their new
teachers to fail and are supportive their first couple of years. (It's once
you figure out what you're doing is when they put you on a budget!) We all
started out inexperienced, and by jumping in and doing our best we gained
that needed experience. Anyways, that is my .02.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids