RE:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: July 10, 2006

---------

From: Maureen (mmorris_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2006 - 08:44:05 PDT

Subject: the job is mine
From: mo5diana@yahoo.com

I have read your posts and I am glad that you are going to do what is
necessary to teach ceramics, however, there is a lot of pressure on art
programs to cut costs, inadvertently, not giving art education the status
and prominence that it should as part of the core curriculum. I would have
much preferred the school hire a professional artist and teacher. I am a
studio artist and a secondary art teacher, I take my art very seriously. Art
should not just feel good but it should also prepare students to move onto
numerous professional fields that benefit from strong art backgrounds.
Ceramics is a technical subject and should be taught by a ceramic artist. In
spirit, I support you, and who knows, maybe there is a ceramic artist
waiting to be born inside of you. I just think that when administrators hire
non-artists in general, we/they are doing a disservice to art education and
not taking it seriously. Thanks for reading.