[teacherartexchange] My decision

---------

From: L Mitchell (lismatisse_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 09 2006 - 16:00:27 PDT

So glad you've been able to use all of the words of
experience posted here. I really enjoy these
conversations.
I agree - you need to be yourself when accepting a job
- false pretenses will only lead you down a hard road.
I hope the AP sees your enthusiasm and willingness to
learn.
I would tell the AP or Principal at some point about
the suggestions for attending the state art
conference, that you're going to need the collegiality
and support of other art teachers to network. You
might need a day "off" for the conference and this
year I was at a new school and had to take personal
days (which cost you $50 per day in NC) to attend the
National Conference in Chicago. If the administration
knows that you're going to need professional days -
sometimes that can be built into the budget. I know
High Schools can be different budget-wise, but I've
been planning on how I can honestly deal with this
issue with my principal this year so I don't have to
use my personal days for professional reasons.
Also - one thing you might consider for the summers is
taking a two-week course at Penland in Ceramics. Visit
www.penland.org. There are "stand by" rates for
teachers this summer or if you plan ahead for next
year there are scholarships for teachers (apply in Jan
I think). My two-weeks there was an increadible
experience and I've used so much of what I learned in
the classroom.
Lisa