Re: [teacherartexchange] debilitating perfectionism

---------

From: Susan Bennett (seasideblueviolet_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 09 2006 - 14:10:59 PDT

Hi
I deal with this road block daily. I love to paint and
draw and will do anything I can to hate what I do and
have a mental block about what I want to do. When I
get past the block I keep growing. I could relate to
the question about teaching something you are not
perfect at doing, like the ceramic discussion.
Several years ago, my art boss asked me to teach high
school in the afternoon and keep my grade school
darlings in the morning.
At first I said no I could never, and then I kept
thinking and praying about could I do that. Of course
it was thrilling, terrifying , and everyother type of
emotion I could come up with. But litterally on a wing
and a (more like lots of)prayer I keep one step ahead
of those high school kids. Sometimes not even ahead,
I often learn from them, but I can still guide them
with artistic choices. But the best thing for me
personally is how it made me go back and do what I
love which had fallen by the wayside! It is never
perfect enough though! So I suffer the same thing the
kids suffer! But it is getting better.
Susan in Ohio