[teacherartexchange] Ceramic Lessons on Incredible Art Department

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 09 2006 - 13:48:56 PDT

Greetings Stacie and All,

There are a number of excellent lesson plans on Incredible Art
Department for high school. Will you be teaching a beginning ceramics
and advanced? Will it be a semester course or all year?

Here are some lesson links:
Vivian Komando's Lesson Plans:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/Vivian-ceramics.htm
Vivian's Art Room for examples:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/artroom/Vivian/Vivian4.htm
Vivian's Kandinsky Sculpture:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/vivian.htm

Judie Jacob's High School Ceramics:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/ceramics.htm
Judie also did Face jugs - but I haven't put those on the face jug
lesson plan yet... I will get that done soon.
Judie Jacobs - whimsical teapots:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/Judie-TeaPots.htm

Barry Lucy's combination Vessel (no images):
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/Barry-Ceramics.htm

Justin Kramer's slip decorated coil vessels:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/Justin-coil.htm

Justin Kramer's Mask with a message:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/Justin-masks.htm
Also see the draped slab African Mask Lesson (some of Vivian's
examples are there)

Marsha G - Slab houses:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/Marsha-slab.htm

Marsha G - Shoes:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/marsha-shoes.htm

Ceramic Relief Sculptures by Deborah Bridges:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/Deb-Relief.htm

Maria Lengauer - Organic form in clay:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/Maria-Sculpt.htm
Maria Lengauer - pre-Columbian
Tripod:http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/Maria-tripod.htm
Greek inspired - traditional coil:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/Maria-Greek.htm
Also see her Art Room:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/artroom/Maria/Maria.html

Ceramic Monsters by Lindsey Pierce:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/Lindsey-monsters.htm

Greek Columns by Kevan Nitzberg:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/Kevan-columns.htm
This could be part of a lesson on architecture theme

Ceramic Bust by Cindi Hiers:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/Cindi-bust.htm

Ceramic Story Pots by Linda Baker:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/Linda-story.htm

Good file for Mimbres Pottery:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/mimbres.htm

Ceramic Birdhouses:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/ClayBirdHouseHS.html

Clay whistles:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/whistle.htm
Make sure YOU can make one whistle before trying with kids.

There is plenty here for beginning and advanced ceramics. For advanced
ceramics, I focused more of different decorating techniques and did
more theme based works.
Students did more advanced projects using handbuilding techniques. You
can provide a balance of functional ceramics and sculptural ceramics.
Students do like ceramic sculpture.

Let us know how long the class is and we could help put together a curriculum.
Beginning ceramics should include all the basic handbuilding
techniques, some glaze testing and some decorating techniques - and of
course ceramic history. You build on that for advanced ceramics.

Get your hands on some clay this summer and work through a sample of
each project you would like to try. You can get a local ceramic
business (or potter) to fire them for you (they will charge you a
small fee).

There are also many middle school lessons that can be adapted to high school.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/