Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] Ceramic Lessons on Incredible Art Department

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 09 2006 - 13:48:56 PDT

Greetings Stacie and All,

There are a number of excellent lesson plans on Incredible Art
Department for high school. Will you be teaching a beginning ceramics
and advanced? Will it be a semester course or all year?

Here are some lesson links:
Vivian Komando's Lesson Plans:
Vivian's Art Room for examples:
Vivian's Kandinsky Sculpture:

Judie Jacob's High School Ceramics:
Judie also did Face jugs - but I haven't put those on the face jug
lesson plan yet... I will get that done soon.
Judie Jacobs - whimsical teapots:

Barry Lucy's combination Vessel (no images):

Justin Kramer's slip decorated coil vessels:

Justin Kramer's Mask with a message:
Also see the draped slab African Mask Lesson (some of Vivian's
examples are there)

Marsha G - Slab houses:

Marsha G - Shoes:

Ceramic Relief Sculptures by Deborah Bridges:

Maria Lengauer - Organic form in clay:
Maria Lengauer - pre-Columbian
Greek inspired - traditional coil:
Also see her Art Room:

Ceramic Monsters by Lindsey Pierce:

Greek Columns by Kevan Nitzberg:
This could be part of a lesson on architecture theme

Ceramic Bust by Cindi Hiers:

Ceramic Story Pots by Linda Baker:

Good file for Mimbres Pottery:

Ceramic Birdhouses:

Clay whistles:
Make sure YOU can make one whistle before trying with kids.

There is plenty here for beginning and advanced ceramics. For advanced
ceramics, I focused more of different decorating techniques and did
more theme based works.
Students did more advanced projects using handbuilding techniques. You
can provide a balance of functional ceramics and sculptural ceramics.
Students do like ceramic sculpture.

Let us know how long the class is and we could help put together a curriculum.
Beginning ceramics should include all the basic handbuilding
techniques, some glaze testing and some decorating techniques - and of
course ceramic history. You build on that for advanced ceramics.

Get your hands on some clay this summer and work through a sample of
each project you would like to try. You can get a local ceramic
business (or potter) to fire them for you (they will charge you a
small fee).

There are also many middle school lessons that can be adapted to high school.

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Resources

To unsubscribe go to