Re: [teacherartexchange] yet another twist

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 08 2006 - 14:13:18 PDT

Thanks Jerry,
        Well, I'm not the only one who thinks that way.
It's very re-assuring to know.

On Jul 8, 2006, at 2:11 PM, Jerry Vilenski wrote:

> Right on the nose, Woody!
>
> I find it interesting how many of our colleagues buy
> into the notion that "any good teacher can teach
> anything". I have heard this for years, mostly from
> administrators trying to defend bone-headed placements
> of unqualified or uncertified teachers where they
> don't belong.

> If Stacie takes this job, she will have to learn it
> the way we all did, by taking a few classes and
> making a lot of clay pieces before she attempts to
> teach pottery. How else can a teacher anticipate
> technical problems and develop empathy for the process
> of making clay?

I'm also sure Stacie will do fine. As for a learning curve in
clay, I observed a one handed pottery teacher demo once.
He threw fantastic pieces on the wheel. He told us that when
he taught students to throw, he would have them slice the
first 20 pots in half to inspect the walls and gain practice.
Years later I ran into him again. He was teaching high school
students to create silver jewelry. He entered 20 pieces (the limit)
in Scholastics and all received keys, most went on to national.
A good art teacher can train themselves in any media. More
power to those who wish to or are required to teach outside
of the visual arts.
                                        Woody

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net