Re:[teacherartexchange] yet another twist

---------

From: Jerry Vilenski (jvilenski_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 08 2006 - 13:11:25 PDT

Right on the nose, Woody!

I find it interesting how many of our colleagues buy
into the notion that "any good teacher can teach
anything". I have heard this for years, mostly from
administrators trying to defend bone-headed placements
of unqualified or uncertified teachers where they
don't belong. If that were the case, I should be able
to teach advanced mathmatics or music, which believe
me, I can't. And I consider myself an excellent
teacher! I think it stems from the old belief that
art as a discipline is really not that difficult to
teach, because, after all, anyone can slap paint on
paper! Most of us know the real truth, that teaching
art requires a combination of high skill levels in
many media and extrodinary teaching ability. Ever had
an art professor who was a good artist who couldn't
teach? I've had more than a few. No one would expect
a math teacher to teach violin without knowledge of
the instrument, but for some reason visual art is not
regarded in the same manner.

If Stacie takes this job, she will have to learn it
the way we all did, by taking a few classes and
making a lot of clay pieces before she attempts to
teach pottery. How else can a teacher anticipate
technical problems and develop empathy for the process
of making clay? I'm sure she can achieve this, but
there are no short cuts here--the desire to teach is
not enough.

Hope this helps,

Jerry

web site: artguyvilenski.com