[teacherartexchange] Elementary Art Teachers

---------

From: M Blue Horn (blue_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 08 2006 - 10:37:01 PDT

Elementary art teachers -

What do you guys think about grades for 5th graders? For years our system
did the "N" and "S" thing but we got rid of it as the consensus was
generally that it was based on behavior, not their art
knowledge/production/etc. I don't know about the rest of you, but my 5th
graders are highly aware of the fact that they are not graded in music and
art - and while the majority still love art - some of them simply shut down
or don't give me what I know they have... So I've contacted our district
curriculum coordinator, and she is willing to let me pilot the grading with
my 5th graders, but she wants a write up on WHY this should happen and how
it would benefit the kids and me/art. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Blue in Birmingham