[teacherartexchange] Acrylic Canvas Sizing

---------

From: Joe Cox (bjcoxteachart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2006 - 13:50:39 PDT

Hello everyone,

I have a question on canvas sizing. I have been stretching some raw canvas
and got some acrylic canvas sizing to put on before the acrylic gesso, and
it worked great but went really fast for the size of canvases I am doing.
Now the container says the vehicle of this product is Acrylic Polymer
Emulsion. Now is this the same as Acrylic Matte Medium, so am I buying a
product that I can make by just diluting Matte Medium? If there is a
difference between the two and I need to purchase Acrylic Canvas Sizing what
is the difference?

Also, as I have been researching this question I looked in Mark David
Gottsegen's book The Painter's Handbook and he talks about polymerized
acrylic resins. Is this the same as acrylic polymer emulsion?

One final question, I have been looking on the internet for the last hour
or so for websites that have technical information like this but haven't had
much luck so if anyone knows of a website that addresses this kind of
information I would greatly appreciate the info.

Thanks and I hope everyone is having a great and creative summer.

Blessings,
Joe