RE: [teacherartexchange] Yet another twist...

---------

From: KPRS2 (kprs2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2006 - 16:34:24 PDT

So, do you think a great art teacher can teach any media? any grade
level? any ____ ? thoughts?

let us know~
creatively, Linda in Oregon
------------------------------------
I do believe that any great teacher can teach any subject if and only if
they have a passion for the subject. A great teacher, by my definition has a
passion for teaching and, above all, learning. There are some of us on this
list that have taught in more than one department (I have taught in English
and Art on the high school level, and have started new courses by writing
the curriculum over the summer, and then introducing the course in
September). Notice I am NOT teaching in the math department (although as
fate would have it, I started out as a math major, but switched because it
wasn't my passion, although I had a "head for figures"). Teaching to me is
when you have something you want to share (curriculum), and you make your
audience (students) curious about what you have (instill a curiousity for
learning), and you engage them into the unfolding of what you will be
sharing (hands on experiences with you as a facilitator). This can be done
with any subject.

We on the list have been encouraging Stacie to reflect on her teaching style
and abilities in order to make the choice as to whether to take the new job
or not. Only she knows for sure. None of us have seen her teach, although we
all have had the priviledge of hearing about her progress this year.

San D