[teacherartexchange] Caricature Paper Mache Sculpture Heads - Lesson idea

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2006 - 13:29:09 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

In my surf the other day, I saw a fun sculpture idea for middle school
and high school. I wish I could remember where I saw them..... The
examples were made by a retired teacher (not students) - but kids
could do them just a good. The examples were just head and neck, but I
think they would look better with shoulders. Shoulders can be made out
of cardboard and covered with foil to waterproof somewhat.

I didn't save the link... but this is the gist of the lesson. It is
not a new idea... it has been around for a very long time.

Materials:
Egg shaped balloons (8 to 9 inch size)
16 oz tin cans
cardboard
scissors
masking tape
Aluminum foil
Newspapers, end rolls paper towels
Wheat paste
Paper Pulp (optional)
Acrylic paints

Objectives:
Understand meaning of caricature - create a 3-D self portrait
caricature (or caricature of someone they know).
Exaggerate facial features - create whimsical expression

1. roll cardboard around tin can - tape in place (but make sure can
will slide out easily).
2. Cut cardboard to form shoulders - tape together and stuff with
newspapers. Cover with layer of foil.
3. blow up balloon
4. Tape balloon to neck at an angle - tied end of balloon forms chin.
5. Apply paper mache layers to balloon first (as balloons tend to
collapse after a day or so). Need at least two layers.
6. Paper mache neck - let dry
7. Begin sculpting features with wadded up newspaper or paper toweling
(you could use paper pulp) - be sure to make eye lids, show cheeks -
build up chin - etc.
8. When neck is dry - remove can that was supporting head - Tape neck
onto shoulders and finish paper mache. A final layer can be done with
end roll paper toweling.
10. Paint with acrylics when dry.

You could paper mache the balloon and neck first - THEN make the
shoulders while paper mache is drying.

If anyone tries this lesson, send me one example for a lesson page on IAD.

I was going to take you to Ken Parker's site for inspiration - but it
is no longer on line.

I just remembered where I found them - Arts and Activities web page:
http://www.artsandactivities.com/Page/Articles06/A050636.pdf
Article by Beverly Wallice
http://www.artsandactivities.com/Page/ARTMAIN01.html
May 2006 issue.