Re: [teacherartexchange] Aquestion for middle school and high school teachers

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2006 - 09:27:52 PDT

M. Austin wrote:

> Some fun 1st day activities that I have done are 1) give students a
> large drawing that I have created and cut apart. Students color their
> section any way they want, and then I put them all together to make
> the entire picture.

I used Michal's idea as an icebreaker in MS with grades 5-8. I made
large (11 x 17) posters of famous works of art for each class, cut them
up, and showed them three ways to fill a space: flat color, gradation,
and patterning. The reassembled posters look great, and it's an easy
and relaxing activity any student can succeed at the first couple of
days at school, plus, they LEARNED some vocab and fun ways to color. At
HS I did the H.A.T. (Horse Awareness Test). Details are on IAD:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/horses.htm scroll down to
the bottom of the page.

Maggie