Re: [teacherartexchange] Bandwidth Theft & Copyright Infringement

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2006 - 05:38:51 PDT

Hotlinking drives me crazy!!! I mentioned it on this list earlier this year,
but until it is your bandwidth getting stolen most people don't take it
seriously. What you should do is to make a graphic that says "I hotlinked to
someone's site without permission" and name it what your hotlinked graphic
was named. Then make sure you put notice on your page that asks people not
to hotlink. If you don't want people to use your images you are either going
to have to take them off the web, allow people to "right click and save", or
to go in once a month or so and change the graphic names. Even with the
right click disabled, you can also go to "view source" and find the correct
URL to the graphic. It stinks that people can't be more courteous, but at
least there are options! So how did you find out your images were being
hotlinked?
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids