Re: [teacherartexchange] debilitating perfectionism

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2006 - 05:32:46 PDT

On Jul 7, 2006, at 6:01 AM, Elizabeth Heisey wrote:

> Have we already talked about perfectionism? I hate
> perfectionism and what it does to students sometimes.
> Wikipedia says perfectionism is an 'unhealthy belief
> that anything less than perfect is unacceptable.'

I believe it largely sets in about the 8th grade. At that point
many students begin to realize what perfect is and they
know they can not create it. So, they shut down and will
quit attempting to produce and grow. Most of our
educational system give tests or scores work with the
desired end of 100 %. Seldom do students get marks
based upon growth from where they started. So they
treat art this way as well, if I can't do anything near perfect I won't
even try. We (art teachers) can't cure/change the whole
educational system. So we must deal with the road block
in students heads the best we can.

A productive discussion should be around how many of
us have dealt with this road block.
                                        Woody

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net