Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] debilitating perfectionism

From: Elizabeth Heisey (elizhiz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2006 - 05:01:05 PDT

Have we already talked about perfectionism? I hate
perfectionism and what it does to students sometimes.
Wikipedia says perfectionism is an 'unhealthy belief
that anything less than perfect is unacceptable.'

I think I want to include this as one of my
assumptions about art which we discuss the first week.
It seems the truth lies more in something like this:

Achievement in art is healthy growth where any of many
various kinds of improvement are acceptable.

So there is perfectionism or there is achievement. A
discussion of the two contrasting ways of thinking
seems like a good point-counterpoint. Maybe we can
stave off this tendency.

What do you all think?

Do You Yahoo!?