Re: [teacherartexchange] Aquestion for middle school and high school teachers

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2006 - 18:17:09 PDT

I agree. My first day I do an activity with them of some sort. If a student
has an 8 period day, chances are they will listen to the teacher read the
syllabus in every one of them. The BIG rule I go over day one is "Do the
right thing". I then give a quick once over of the room, pointing out where
the supplies they will need, specific art expectations such as "tomorrow
we'll start right in with this routine: come in, get your sketchbook and
find your seat. We'll start each day with xxx, and then xxx, but for today
we're going to...". Some fun 1st day activities that I have done are 1) give
students a large drawing that I have created and cut apart. Students color
their section any way they want, and then I put them all together to make
the entire picture. Last year I did a picture of me, and when one student
didn't turn their's in I put up a blurb "I'm just not complete without all
of you". We then did a big "Awwwwwwww" - corny but the kids really did enjoy
it! 2) Give each student a piece of paper and have them draw/color/doodle
anything they want. On the back they are to write something about how they
feel about being back in school - positive or negative. It is often a great
insight into my student's thoughts. I also give extra credit for these so
they are starting out with an A+, which helps start the year out positively.
The challenge is to treat them with dignity and as young adults, but to
remember they are still children and need guidance.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids