Re: [teacherartexchange] Aquestion for middle school and high school teachers

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2006 - 17:54:24 PDT

Hi, Heather,

I taught HS for many years and loved it; had very few behavior problems
overall. The key is to let them know the first day you think they are
young adults; point out they've been in school a loooo-ooong time and
they know how they're supposed to behave. "Do I really need to go over
a bunch of rules and consequences?" I would get them into a routine
the very first day without long lectures about behavior. My basic rules
were Be Respectful, Be Respectable, Be Responsible, Always Do Your
Best. Those four pretty much take care of everything. Then I'd talk
briefly about the class and what kinds of things we'd be doing during
the semester, followed by a fun ice-breaker. That would keep them busy
a day or two, then I could talk a bit more about specific expectations
and consequences. If a student did start to get out of line, I would
finish my demo/lecture and then talk with him privately in my office or
in the hallway. Unless a kid was a chronic nuisance, I almost never
talked to parents. I think they respected that I treated them more like
adults.

Maggie