Re: [teacherartexchange] Second interview

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 05 2006 - 17:12:17 PDT

On Jul 5, 2006, at 6:39 PM, StacieMich@aol.com wrote:

> I was hoping to be able to ask some art-related questions at my
> interview
> because I was supposed to meet the other art teacher today, but she
> didn't show
> up to the interview! Apparently, she forgot, which kind of upset
> me because
> I'd like to know who I would be working with, and it just didn't seem
> professional.

Staci and all in the position of interviewing,

Sometimes little hints like the one offered by Staci above indicate
a possible area for concern. The teacher may have had a legitimate
reason for forgetting, but as a department head and interviewer I
found the faux pas a bit unforgiveable. That lack of respect from
the other art teacher would make me very suspect.

I know exactly how stressful job hunting is. I've been there many
many times

My advice-
make some decisions and be clear, confident and decisive.
Always say what you can do for the program. Don't wait for them to
change the curriculum. Give them a viable unit. You can't be wishy-
washy. Show a lesson plan that incorporates all the essentials
including assessment. Don't show that you have little experience with
high school or ceramics. Make up something exciting then figure out
how to do it later.

My experience with administrators is that care diddly squat about
your art abilities. They want to know how you will engage all the
kids in an art experience-- especially those kids that constantly
say "I can't." They want to know how you will make all kids
successful.

Forgive me for saying this but we art teachers have a reputation.
We are thought of as global, unorganized, flaky, and crazy. My worst
interviews were with people who went on and on about their own
abilities and failed to convey how they could help kids. My worst
interviews were with people who could not focus on questions asked,
and rambled and stumbled. My worst interviews were with people that
hadn't done some homework on my school and our needs.

use education jargon
offer all your time, be prepared to say yes to any after school
activities
propose new ideas
be calm cool and confident
tell them what you can offer, don't wait for them to ask

Job hunting in all markets is fret-filled. Often choices are made
without knowing the whys.
I always believe whatever happens--- it's for a reason.
Good luck to all those facing these stressful job hunting times

Patty