It does sound overwhelming, but also exciting to have these many opportunities.
I would continue to stall the elementary school...now you really do have a
legitimate reason to stall...ask that you be able to meet with the other art
teacher. Explain that you have many questions still left unanswered and you
would like to have those questions answered before you make a decision. I
agree with you that what happened was a bust...and it did seem unprofessional..
Yet on the other hand, things can happen...If you are still interested in this
position, just ask for another interview and this time with the other art
You do seem really excited about the high school job and it does sound as if you
have the work ethic to become prepared to teach the content you don't already
know about. Art teachers can't know everything, remember.
Don't feel guilty about anything...this is just a normal procedure during the
summer months...this is just the way it is...relax, smile and be glad that you
have some choices. :-)
> I was hoping to be able to ask some art-related questions at my interview
> because I was supposed to meet the other art teacher today, but she didn't
> up to the interview! Apparently, she forgot, which kind of upset me because
> I'd like to know who I would be working with, and it just didn't seem
> professional. It was kind of a bust. The principal seems like she is ready
> to offer me
> the position. She said, "I'd like to offer you the position as soon as you
> are cleared by the county." So, she's waiting for my paperwork to go through
> before she makes the official offer, but it looks like she's planning on
> me. I feel guilty knowing that I am considering other options. I got home
> to yet another message from another great high school in the area, one with a
> magnet program. So, tomorrow I plan on calling the high school from last
> to tell them that I've had another offer and need to know what they are
> planning on because I think I'd prefer the high school position. Then I
> might call
> this other high school to hear what they have to say. I'm feeling so
> out because I haven't had any official offers, and I don't know which school
> is best for me, and I don't want to leave people hanging too long. Plus I
> still need to resign from my current school, which is a whole other issue.
> also love to begin planning my curriculum because summer is running out, yet
> don't know if I'll be teaching elementary, middle or high school! This is
> very exhausting. I haven't been sleeping at night because I can't stop
> thinking about everything. I think that my gut is leaning toward the high
> because they seemed so excited about me and seemed like such a great group of
> people with which to work. I feel like if the curriculum is changed, I can
> handle it. I'm thinking of more concepts...giving the kids ideas and letting
> them run with them and use the materials they like. I'd love to do more
> projects and longterm things like that. My fear is lacking the ability or
> experience to satisfy the kids at a higher level, especially if they are
> ceramics. Other than that, I would be very excited to work there.
> On a good note, I did contact a local ceramics league and have scored a
> couple of days at their camp! The woman told me that she had just found out
> one of her helpers was not going to be available for a couple of days during
> the last week of camp...and then she got my call! So, I'm going to go in and
> assist the ceramics teacher with camp and learn as I go. The woman I spoke
> told me that she would give me a free private lesson in return for my help.
> How awesome is that? I'm really psyched! She's going to teach me
> techniques, wheel throwing, glazing and how to work the kiln. I know that it
> will be a crash course, but it's a start. After that I might decide to take
> more private lessons to get more experience throughout the year.
> To unsubscribe go to
To unsubscribe go to