Note: To protect the privacy of our members, e-mail addresses have been removed from the archived messages. As a result, some links may be broken.

Find Lesson Plans on getty.edu! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] What should I say?

---------

From: Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 05 2006 - 07:23:05 PDT


Stacie,

Be glad you have a second interview. Use this as a time to ask more probing but
positive questions. This is probably your best opportunity for you to take
charge of the interview. You could even ask about the possibility for making
some changes to get their response. This is the best time to get this kind of
understanding established. If they do offer you the position. I would mention
all the things that are positive about the situation and be honest and realistic
about this. Mention that this is a big decision and you need some time to think
it over. If they ask what they could do to peruade you to take the
position...ask for what you want. Be prepared to negotiate. Even after that,
say you still need time to think about such an important decision. In the long
run, they will respect you for this. If they set a deadline, contact the other
school you are interested in and ask for a second interview or if they have
made their decision. If probed, tell them are considering another position and
you have been given a deadline. If true, express that you would prefer to have
their position. Put the ball in their court. At this point, if a position as
been offered to you, you are pretty secure and would not need to worry about
possible negative consequences. Nevertheless, you always want to be
professional. If you are offered two different jobs, then you have to make the
decision. Remember, if you are offered a job, this is your opportunity to
negotiate for some things before you accept the job. After you sign the
contract, there is very little leverage that you have to make improvements
right away.

Good luck!

Diane

P.S. If you do ask for some changes/improvements and they agree to them, put
your understanding of your discussion in writing along with your signed
contract.

--
Quoting StacieMich@aol.com:
> I have a second interview with the first school, the one where I would be
> teaching elementary on a cart at two schools.  I'm still waiting to hear from
> the
> high school.  What should I do if the elementary school offers me a position?
>  Should I ask how long they need before I give them an answer and leave it at
> that?  Should I admit that I might have another offer?  Should I just say
> that I need a little time to think it over?  I'm so worried about saying the
> wrong thing because the education system here is so political.  If you say
> the
> wrong thing, they can prevent you from working in the public school system
> for up
> to a year.
>
> ---
> To unsubscribe go to
> http://www.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/unsubscribe.html
>
>
---
To unsubscribe go to 
http://www.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/unsubscribe.html