[teacherartexchange] The Fantastic in Art and Fiction - web site

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 04 2006 - 10:47:07 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

This was posted to Net Gold list by Linda Bee. I thought those of you
who teach fantasy art would be interested in browsing the images from
Cornell University's Rare Manuscript Collection.

The Fantastic in Art and Fiction
http://fantastic.library.cornell.edu/

Site is divided into this topics:

Angels and Demons
Danse Macabre
Weird Science
Bestiary
The Marvelous
The Grotesque
Possession & Insanity
Fantastic Space
Freaks, Monsters & Prodigies

From About the Site:
http://fantastic.library.cornell.edu/about.php

"Sponsored by Cornell University's Institute for
Digital Collections (CIDC) this image-bank provides
a visual resource for the study of the Fantastic or
of the supernatural in fiction and in art. While the
site emerges from a comparative literature course
on the topic at Skidmore College, it is also intended
to open the door to consideration of some of the
constant structures and patterns of fantastic literature,
and the problems they raise. In this sense, the
materials presented here may find a use among
students in a variety of disciplines."

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department