[teacherartexchange] store vs. online (was, Re: digital camera)

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 27 2005 - 07:05:35 PDT

> Before you buy, go to a brick and
> mortar store and hold them in your hands to see which one's
> are comfortable. Then buy it on line for the best price and
> to avoid the state sales tax.

I must take issue with this suggestion. Brick-and-mortar stores are not
there to give you free advice and demos so you can shop online. It
seems a little unethical to tap an employee's time and expertise--for
which the store owner pays--only to take your business elsewhere.
Stores can't usually beat online prices, but they make up for it in
advice and service. If you have a problem with an item, how easy is it
get free tutoring from an online retailer? Or get ahold of customer
service? Are you sure your online product has a U.S. warranty?

I have researched and bought things online at great prices. But having
an established relationship with a local store (even if it's just a
particular employee at a big-box store) pays dividends as well.

Maggie