Re: [teacherartexchange] Art supplies on a budget

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 26 2005 - 22:28:46 PDT

With a limited budget, I would stick to drawing, painting, and collage work for the flat work, use clay for sculpture and pottery, and skip other crafts. Clay comes bagged and ready to use or children can dig and process local clay (can be a good way to combine art and science). As a science teacher, you will appreciate the way art experiments can teach the scientific method and scientific thinking skills.
This page tells about digging local clay
http://www.goshen.edu/art/DeptPgs/rework.html

For learning to draw, I find that children appreciate Ebony Drawing pencils. Lines can be made very dark with less pressure than with 2H school pencils. Light tones are easy with a light touch. They are less expensive then professional 4B or 6B drawing pencils. They are $4 per dozen on Internet. Planning lines and errors are easy to erase because less pressure is required.

They also like the Staedtler Mars white vinyl erasers. They erase pencil lead cleanly without tearing the paper. They are $10 per dozen on Internet. I have found cheap imitations that work about the same at the local Dollar Store or Big Lots Store. With care, these can last for years. Adjacent students can share them. If I need more, I cut them in half. These erasers are perfect for removing planning lines from work after coloring, hatching, or shaded with markers, ball points, or water colors.

Marvin Bartel

Learning How to Learn How to Draw
http://www.goshen.edu/art/ed/westv.html#learn