[teacherartexchange] Art supplies on a budget

---------

From: Doug McGlothlin (dmcgl_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 26 2005 - 20:57:18 PDT

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for advice on what supplies to purchase for this school
year. I teach elementary math/science at a charter school where we
are also responsible for teaching one special period each day. I
teach art as my special (I've had art courses, worked as a
photographer, and passed the state exam). At the beginning of our
first year (last year), the principal/founder handed me some supplies
for the year. I had hoped to be asked for a list or at least
consulted before the purchase was done. Unfortunately, it didn't
work that way. I'd like to approach her with a list this year -
which is why I'm asking for your suggestions.

Budget is about $500. I'll likely teach grades 2 - 5 or K - 5. I'll
have one class of art students per day, maximum 16 - 18 students.
What supplies would you recommend for the year?

I have a bunch of foamie and craft supplies left from last year. I
hesitated to do much painting last year as we had just put down new
carpeting. Whenever I did paint, I tried to use our cafeteria in
case of paint spills. If you have paint ideas/suggestions, please
send those along too.

Thanks in advance for your help! As a lurker I've gotten many great
resources/ideas from this group. Thank you all so much.

Doug in FL