Re: [teacherartexchange] digital camera

---------

From: Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 26 2005 - 20:26:02 PDT

Hi Joe,

I had an Olympus Camedia and really liked it. I think it had 5 megapixels and
at the time I bought it, many people thought it was a good buy for $1,000.
Then I got the Rebel Canon. It is a single lens reflex. Most mid to low level
cameras are what they call range finders. This means basically what you see in
the lens is not what you are taking a picture of. With an SLR you can
theoretically see what you are going to get!

I liked the Olympus camera because it was so easy to figure out. All the
settings were very intuitive. The Rebel takes great pictures but the options
are so extensive that the interface is really confusing. Most digital cameras
now come with a USB cable that you can plug into a computer and download your
stuff and you don't even have to worry about what kind of way the camera saves
the image. So compatible is not much of an issue. If you already have an ink
jet printer, there really is no need to get one of those printers that do
nothing but print out picture from your digital camera. Personally, I would
rather spend my money on a printer that could do many things, instead of buying
something that only prints pictures. But maybe there is more to it than meets
the eye. I like to bring pictures into my computer and then use Photoshop to
edit the picture. To me this is where the fun starts and the advantage of a
digital camera in the first place.

One other thing. Most consumer level digital cameras do not have fast shutter
speeds and are not good for taking pictures of sporting events, etc. They do
not capture fast motion. You have to get a fairly expensive digital camera to
get a faster shutter.

I know I haven't answered all your questions. I am no expert for sure. I just
offer what my experience has been.

Oh, one final thing that is so maddening with buying any piece of technology,
especially something like a digital camera. The second you buy it, the next
day you hear about some new technological advancement that will make the camera
you just bought outdated within a year or two. It is frustrating to say the
least!

Good luck!

--
Dr. Diane C. Gregory