Re: [teacherartexchange] digital camera

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 26 2005 - 08:30:59 PDT

It depends on what you plan on using it for on what kind of camera to
purchase. If you are using it strictly for digital use (e-mailing, webpages,
etc), then a lower megapixel is fine. But if you plan on printing out alot
of pictures then you want a higher megapixel - the larger the picture the
larger the megapixel because the larger the picture the more flaws show up.
To get an idea of what megapixels do, take a small graphic and enlarge it.
Those "squares" are the pixels. The more "pixels" there are in any given
area, the less distortion you will see, thus the clearer the image. I
actually have 3 digital cameras. My HP has 2.1 mp ($120), and I use it
mainly for taking pictures for my webpage. My Sony Mavica was the most
expensive, especially since it only has 2.0 mp, but I like the ability to
use a disk, so this is the one my students use since it doesn't require
software or wires (I'm not thrilled with the overall quality of the pictures
when printed since this camera was almost $500). My Kodak is my favorite,
with 3.0 mp, and it ran appx. $300 2 years ago. It takes really clear
pictures from a long distance, and we use this one exclusively to take
pictures of our son competing in football, wrestling, and track (where
distance pictures are all we can get sometimes). These pictures are the ones
I print hard copies of, so the higher pixels were necessary. Anymore it
seems that brand names don't carry much difference in quality or price. The
movie mode, in my opinion, is kind of a wasted expense on cameras. It
doesn't take long movies, and I never figured out what you do with a 10
second movie once you've recorded it. I purchased a SONY video camera which
I absolutely love for video editing.

On another note, the conversation on printers - I just purchased an
all-in-one printer for my classroom (CompUSA - $150 after a $100 rebate). I
chose an Epson, and the main reason was the ink cartridges - each color has
it's own cartridge, so you only replace the cartridges that are empty. They
run about $14 apiece. I liked the HP printers, except they only had one dual
color cartridge, and you have to purchase a special cartridge which you
replace with the black one when you want to print high quality photos.

I truely believe that as technology advances you really need to examine what
you want your electronics to do for you, and then shop around to find the
best item to fit your needs.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids