Re: [teacherartexchange] digital photography

---------

From: Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 26 2005 - 01:38:22 PDT

Christine,

I agree with Richard. If your school will purchase Macs, I would buy some macs
with as much RAM as you can afford. PhotoElements is much less expensive than
Photoshop. I assume it requires less RAM than Photoshop and of course it would
take up less hard drive space. I would recommend you take a look at the new
mini Mac or the IMac, but by all means get RAM. I also recommend Epson
printers and scanners. Would it be possible to ask your Parent Teacher
Association to either match/provide $1500, so that you could get all the
equipment you need.
You might also be able to get trial copies of some additional software for a
short amount of time until you can afford to purchase more software. You can
sometimes download trial versions from the Internet.

I do not know much about PC computers, but you might run into problems with your
PC computers that run Windows 98 within the near future. Check to make sure
current versions of the software you want to buy works on Windows 98.

I think there are also places on the Internet that will convert traditional
photos to digital. Some deliver the digital photos to you via the Web. So if
some students want, and they have a traditional camera at home, perhaps they
could send them into these places to convert to digital. Also, if you have a
scanner, you could scan the traditional photos. Digital cameras are becoming
more prevalent. Some students may have digital cameras. The challenge will be
getting the files into the computers at school, depending upon the storage media
of the digital camera. Many cameras now have USB cables and Macs have built-in
photo software with limited editing capability.

There are many ways to go, depending upon what kind of funds that are available.

I would definately consider replacing your computers.

I hope this helps and is not too confusing.

Cheers,

Diane

--
Dr. Diane C. Gregory