Re: [teacherartexchange] graffiti art

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 24 2005 - 15:44:17 PDT

West of Albuquerque is a extensive outcropping of volcanic
rock. The black rocks have thousands of drawings done by early
inhabitants of this area. These petroglyphs are a pride to
the community as well as a barrier to developers wishing
to build on forever. Was this now revered area once just
graffiti ? Perhaps !! But what amazed me on moving to
Albuquerque a year ago was the lack of graffiti. It was
here and there but not too apparent. I found out why,
if you spot graffiti you just call the graffiti hot line.
They have trucks, paint and crews going out daily to
cover it up. Albuquerque has lots of walls. It's a custom
that came from Mexico years ago. Almost everyone has a
wall around their house. One day as we walked through the
neighborhood we spotted graffiti on two walls. School
had just let out for the summer, perhaps that was a factor.
I called, the operator said they would create a work order
and the next day it was gone. The paint matched the stucco
walls so well it was as if it was never there. Now that's
a city service I appreciate.
                                Woody

--
	Woody, Retired in Albuquerque