[teacherartexchange] Picasso & Guernica

---------

From: Randy Menninghaus (india99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 23 2005 - 04:16:07 PDT

I took a course many moons ago with Brent & Margerie Wilson. The idea
stemmed from that class. I got the british newspaper article on the actual
day after. I had another old article as well that discussed the event of
the German bombing of the the village of Guernica. Students read the
article and than I had them create an artwork that responded to a smimilar
bombing of the town they lived in. Gathering your sources is really
important. Knowing the history of the Basque region is important.
Understanding the casualness of how two dictators decided where to try out
this new method of warfare is chilling.
I did not do this unit in the past two years, partially because I was not
teaching Art 4 and also because of 9-11.