Re:[teacherartexchange] Graffiti Art

---------

From: david gran (dsgran_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 21 2005 - 18:30:42 PDT

"Stencil Revolution" has a great tutorial on making
stencil-chalk graffiti. The page is down at the
moment, but should be up again shortly:

http://www.stencilrevolution.com

http://instructors.sbcc.edu/esl/goodnough/level2labsite/increativeunitysite/increative
> [...]
> students do the same type of project at the end of
> the
> school year. Rather than doing their name, I had
> them
> plan a tribute to the teacher who they felt impacted
> them the most during their two years in junior high
> school. They planned their sketches and then had
> them
> approved by me for "appropriateness" (you know how
> junior high schoolers can sometimes be - lol!). I
> then
> had the students take their sketches and a box of
> colored chalk and we "graffiti'd" the outside brick
> walls behind the art classroom at school. I then
> sent
> an invitation to those teachers who were tributed so
> that they could come and view their tribute wall.
> The
> students loved the idea of the tribute AND the idea
> of
> being able to "approporiately graffiti" the school
> walls. The teachers loved the kudos - many were
> surprised as to who had tributed them - it was a
> positive way to end the school year.
>
> --- "M. Austin" <whest177@wheatstate.com> wrote:
>
> > This sounds interesting, but I'm having trouble
> > visualizing the final
> > graffiti connection. Do you have images you could
> > share?
> > ~Michal
> > K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
> > http://www.geocities.com/theartkids
> >

> > > Vicki, this year my 7th & 8th graders started
> the
> > > semester with "Graffiti Art". We talked about
> the
> > > difference between art & vandalism, to begin
> with
> > and
> > > we look at a few samples of very talented
> graffiti
> > > artists. I have students come up with 3
> different
> > > ideas for a design and before they begin their
> > final
> > > one, I go over one-point perspective. They
> > practice
> > > doing their name in block letters, going back in
> > space
> > > in one-point perspective. Then, if they choose
> > use
> > > that in their final artwork, they may. I give
> > them a
> > > lot of freedom of choice in this one because
> their
> > > graffiti should reflect their personality,
> > however, I
> > > do require that it take up the entire 9x11 page.
>
> > They
> > > may use colored pencil, markers, or both. This
> > has
> > > been a very successful lesson. They learn a
> > little
> > > about complimentary colors, analogous colors,
> > > symmetrical & asymmetrical balance, and start to
> > > become familiar with the elements & principles.
> > It's
> > > also a good beginning lesson because it helps me

http://carrotrevolution.blogspot.com/

The day is coming when an ordinary carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.

-Paul Cezanne