Re: [teacherartexchange] Changing our story

---------

vranck0602_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Thu Jul 21 2005 - 17:54:22 PDT

Hey Diane,
I think you may have a point, quit struggling and breathe...I like it.
How about: Once upon a time we sat in a cave and drew beautiful
pictures. We did this because we felt a deep and mystical urge to
communicate what we saw. Or maybe it was self gratification, it felt
good to do it. Hey, there was no one around that was going to say
"what's that?" We all knew.
At what point in history did we break art down to its components and
engage in the "battle" to make ourselves worthy? Other cultures value
the arts, even big business say that thinking outside the box (creative
thinking) is what is most needed.
What if "we", art teachers, got out of public education and offered
classes on a different level? Our services would perhaps be more valued
if we placed more value on ourselves...Then we could teach the big
questions and the elements and principles, and do it in a manner that
suited us. If we wanted to include math, social studies, science and
reading (because we can), then we would, but no one would be standing
over our shoulders threatening to cut our program.
Just some food for thought,
Vicki
p.s.
I suppose for this idea to work every public school art teacher would
have to be on board. ;)