Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] Changing our story

From: Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 21 2005 - 14:23:19 PDT

Hi All,

I have noticed that our collective story as Art Educators has been Advocating
for a position for art in the school curriculum. My good friend Donna, calls
this the "battle." I am tired of this story. What other collective story
could we invent for ourselves as art educators in the 21st century that frames
art and art education in a different way. I find the "battle" exhausting and I
think it wears people out. Many leave the profession because of this "battle."
What other stories could we frame for ourselves and how could we step out of
this "battle" story? Any ideas?

Dr. Diane C. Gregory
Director, Undergraduate & Graduate
Studies in Art Education