Re: [teacherartexchange] important concepts vs teaching for tests

---------

From: Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 20 2005 - 16:31:41 PDT

Good points Marvin.

I don't worry so much about those tests. Wise people know that these tests
don't reflect what is taught or learned. Wise teachers view them as a nuisance
and do what they are told, yet figure out a way to teach for the test while
teaching effectively. It is a shame we have this little game going on. But
the same thing goes on in business. It is just surface stuff. It is a game.
I usually blow it off so I don't get so mad.

The testing movement is not about measuring learning; it is about politicians
trying to create an impression that learning is taking place.

Those individuals who value tests think of learning as a product rather than a
process. We will just have to hope that they will understand at some point.
Nevertheless, I do leave room to be shown that I need to change my own thinking
about this viewpoint. I know I don't have the truth. I value the search for it
though. :-) I think I have more questions than answers. I hope I can get to the
point when I can figure out the right questions to ask.

Cheers,

Diane

--
Dr. Diane C. Gregory