Re: [teacherartexchange] Abstract or concrete

---------

From: Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 20 2005 - 16:20:36 PDT

Interesting question Maggie,

Like Pam, I intend to have my art education classes be an integration of theory
and practice. This is my first year at Texas Woman's University, however, I
have taught Art Education for 23 years. My students at TWU are excited about
how we are integrating theory and practice in a student centered learning
environment. We work in cooperative learning groups and students seem to
understand how what they are doing in class will help them be successful
practicing teachers. I am not so confident, but then again I am a
perfectionist and want to do more to help them succeed. I guess I won't know
for sure until I have an opportunity to talk with them once they begin
teaching.

I have always thought of undergraduate art education programs as places where we
begin the life long process of preparing art teachers. It is a journey and we
begin and we get as far as we can. Hopefully we get far enough along for
people to enjoy some success. I talk about a life long commitment and journey
with them and remind them we are life long partners in figuring out how best to
teach and learn. I don't have all the answers and I continue to learn. We are
works in progress. :-)

--
Dr. Diane C. Gregory
Director, Undergraduate & Graduate