Re:[teacherartexchange] middle school lessons

---------

From: Terry Marney (terrylou63_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 20 2005 - 11:49:11 PDT

Vicki, this year my 7th & 8th graders started the
semester with "Graffiti Art". We talked about the
difference between art & vandalism, to begin with and
we look at a few samples of very talented graffiti
artists. I have students come up with 3 different
ideas for a design and before they begin their final
one, I go over one-point perspective. They practice
doing their name in block letters, going back in space
in one-point perspective. Then, if they choose to use
that in their final artwork, they may. I give them a
lot of freedom of choice in this one because their
graffiti should reflect their personality, however, I
do require that it take up the entire 9x11 page. They
may use colored pencil, markers, or both. This has
been a very successful lesson. They learn a little
about complimentary colors, analogous colors,
symmetrical & asymmetrical balance, and start to
become familiar with the elements & principles. It's
also a good beginning lesson because it helps me to
remember their names!
Terry