Re: [teacherartexchange] Elliot Eisner on choice

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 20 2005 - 06:31:52 PDT

What I have found by teaching (and documenting standards taught) the
standards is that it also makes you aware of what you are not teaching, and
what you barely cover. I will admit to extreme frustration when I was first
asked to document not only my art standards that I was teaching, but also
which math and reading standards were being taught. I told my administrator
that that was 13 standards per subject I was being asked to familiarize
myself with. Luckily, she saw my point and now just asks me to document what
vocabulary words and concepts I am covering for these other subjects. I find
that being required to incorporate reading and math actually adds depth to
my lessons. Now, I do tesselations with 4th grade, because some of the
tested standards are rotation, translation, and (summer brain dead here -
there is another math vocabulary word here). The first year I did this with
4th grade, EVERY student passed those questions, where the year before we
had 33% of the students pass them. In an age where budgets are being cut
drastically, having your administrator know that you specifically helped
boost those scores is a tremendous benefit to you and your program.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids