Re: [teacherartexchange] Elliot Eisner on choice

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 19 2005 - 20:27:02 PDT

I, too, am standards driven. I am expected to document which standards I am
teaching on my lesson plans, AND note how I am teaching reading and math
skills in my classroom. I am lucky in that my administrator does believe
that reading skills are enforced by "reading" a painting, so even tho I am
expected to teach these subjects, it is to be within the art realm. My
district is so small that if one student does not achieve "Basic", then we
do not achieve Standard of Excellence. My district was on a plan of
improvement from the state, and this was when we were mandated by our board,
and enforced by administration, that we would ALL teach reading and math.
Our funding is dependant on these scores, as are all Kansas schools.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids