Re: [teacherartexchange] Elliot Eisner on choice

---------

From: Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 19 2005 - 20:26:33 PDT

Hi Marvin and All,

 "I know a young MIT scientist who got three top awards this year. His recent
discoveries have the potential to find treatments for many of the most
perplexing incurable illnesses. When questioned by a reporter about the mind
forming aspects of his childhood that produced the kind of thinking that makes
major scientific advances, he credited parents who provided art materials, but
did not allow coloring books because they did not feel that their child should
be expected or allowed to color in somebody else's pictures. Children who
learn to think while creating art are learning much more than art. Those of us
who teach art are uniquely placed in our students' lives for a purpose that goes
way beyond what we think we may be teaching."

Quoting from Marvin above. Great story Marvin. Thanks for sharing.

Diane

--
Dr. Diane C. Gregory
Director, Undergraduate & Graduate