Re: [teacherartexchange] Elliot Eisner on choice

---------

From: Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 19 2005 - 20:19:42 PDT

Hi Vicky,

Yes we are living in a standards world. We can set standards higher than state
or national standards. It is my experience with most state and national
standards that these standards are very general and fail to establish
benchmarks for performance. Because the standards are so general these are
easily met by establishing the kind of program you have in mind. It sounds as
if your vision exceeds standards. Unfortunately, standards are usually
minimums rather than high benchmarks. In Texas, there is seldom any kind of
review of art programs to ensure that these minimum standards are met.
However, we do have dedicated professionals in Texas who dedicate themselves to
exceeding these standards to the degree to which they are able given constraints
of time, money, and resources.

I hope this clarifies my earlier comment.

Cheers,

Diane

--
Dr. Diane C. Gregory