RE: [teacherartexchange] important concepts to teach kids

---------

bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Jul 19 2005 - 16:24:10 PDT

Before the students can play with concepts and Who am I problems, it helps
to give them the tools of art. The Elements and Principles of Design are a
good begining as to help them structure their responses and organize the
format. The media that you introduce will help them feel comfortable
creating their compositions using the different media, both in color and
black and white. Now with these concepts and materials explained, they are
better at responding to a concept in art and explaining themselves because
they are not learning everything at once.

Ken Schwab

bicyclken@earthlink.net
http://room3art.com

and am working on reviewing and reevaluating our programs. Currently our
programs consist of more "messy play" that allows children to experiment
with materials but doesn't go into art concepts or artists.

> I would like to include art concepts and artists into our programs. The
current discussion on the top ten images has helped me in selecting artists
to introduce but now I'd like to know your top ten concepts (line, color,
etc) you feel children should be exposed to. The children we serve are
generally 4-10. Please keep in mind that these programs are open and
children are free to come and go as they like.