[teacherartexchange] Middle School lessons/finding meaning

---------

From: Pam (pgstephens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 19 2005 - 14:25:12 PDT

About the middle school curriculum....Vicki I would be willing to bet that
if you took the finding meaning approach that you will see that the kids
become more engaged with the art. Try the Great Books Shared Inquiry
tutorial for some model questions and then develop some pointed questions
about the works of art that you usually use for exploring the e/p.
http://talk.greatbooks.org/igb/

One of the concepts of shared inquiry is that the techer acts as a leader
and does not provide answers; just guidance. Your questions should be
specific to the work of art so that students are led to find meaning. The
best questions have more than one correct answer. The levels of questions
are much like Bloom's Taxonomy or Feldman's critical inquiry. Begin with
factual questions then advance to interpretation and evaluation.

Pam
Join us in June 2006 for Paris, Avignon, and the French Riviera
Space is limited --- E-mail this address for details
For art teaching resources, professional development, & travel, visit:
www.ArtResourcesforTeachers.com
For information about the NAU art education program:
Pamela G. Stephens, PhD
Northern Arizona University
Art Education
P.O. Box 6020
Flagstaff, AZ 86011-6020
928.523.2432 (voice mail) 928.523.3333 (fax)
Pamela.Stephens@nau.edu
http://www.cal.nau.edu/art/fac_pages/faculty_s.htm